1. In a pan, toast the nuts in a tablespoon of butter until browned. Remove, and set aside.
2. Rub the fish in salt and pepper.
3. Add the remaining butter into the pan and fry the fish until tender. Then set aside.
4. Fry the onion in the used butter (add more if needed), until crispy and brown in color. Set aside some of the fried onions to use for garnish.
5. Add the spices and 450ml of water to the remaining onions in the pan, then cover and let it simmer for 30mins until the onions become very soft.
6. In a separate pot, add the rice and a tablespoon of butter, then add 350ml of the spices sauce over the rice, and transfer all the soft onions. Cook the rice over low heat for 15 mins.
7. Put the rice in a serving plate, place fried fish over it and sprinkle with the reserved fried onions and toasted nuts.
8. Best served with a side of cucumber tomato tahini salad or tarator sauce (tahini parsley sauce.
Tips for the most flavorful Fish Sayadieh
- Why should I use butter in preparing the Fish Sayadieh?
Make sure to pair Lurpak Soft butter with fish as it adds a crispy crust to the fish and enriches the flavor. Lurpak Soft butter is also ideal for pan frying various meats.
- What is the ideal heat for browning fish using butter?
It’s important to note, when using butter to cook fish, that butter has a lower smoking/burning point than oils in general, which is why it can burn quickly. So when cooking with Lurpak Soft butter, always make sure to first heat the pan over medium heat, then add the butter - and work quickly.